Malaysia, what to do and what not to do.

Go down

Malaysia, what to do and what not to do.

Post by Raven_Lady951 on Fri 9 Sep - 3:40

When you are traveling in Malaysia, I, as a local, give you my personal experience on what to do, and what not to do.

1) Getting around.

If you want to get around KL (Kuala Lumpur), I highly recommend using the Train system (as it is faster and cheaper than taxi here). Avoid this particular train line called 'Kereta Api Tanah Melayu' or KTM for short. Don't be fooled by the cheap ticket prices, it can get crowded and stuffy there, not to mention pickpockets are lurking there as well. I recommend the LRT line (Kelana Jaya) as it stops more in the city center. Also, you can use the KL Monorail as it stops at the 'hottest' spots in KL, but like I said, be careful of pickpockets there too. There might be a bit of walking around, but better safe than sorry right? To travel bus wise, I'd say choose the rapid KL ones to get to your destination faster. Avoid taxis, as it is expensive here and they will charge you more because you are a tourist. But lately we've been using the metered system, so check your taxi if they have a meter detector and their silence (usually on the front of the front seat on the left).

If you wish to get around in areas such as Penang Island, Pulau Langkawi and Melaka I highly recommend renting a car and getting a map in Penang and Langkawi, as buses nor taxis frequent there very often. Both Islands do have an airport there and usually it's your hotel that will provide car renting services. (Do call up your hotel to find out if they do). Melaka however, I recommend going on a tour as there is no train nor airport there. My advice is to stop at KL and then take a bus to Melaka, and be prepared for exercise (for there will be a ton of walking to do) and confusion. (because nearly all the shoplots look almost the same, don't be suprise if you were to get lost.)

2) The Tourist Trap.

As title says. When buying things here in Malaysia, don't be fooled. Most of those cheap souvenirs you find at tourist spots are sold at high prices when they have little value. (Plus, I even heard they weren't even made locally at all) . But if you do spot something you like, this is when a local comes in handy. He or She will bargain. A LOT. But do this at stores such as Kek Lok Si Temple in Penang (where to get is, you will pass a market place. Bargain until you feel satisfied. Just say, 'It's too expensive' ^^) and ChinaTown in KL. (which by the way sells imitation designer goods).

Food. Yes, certain food stalls are tourist traps too. Usually in Penang. Avoid Gurney Drive, for you pay way more than an average hawker will charge you. Also it will help if you speak Hokkien in Penang, just speak it to the hawkers and they'll charge you local price.Also, in Penang, it's a bit of a gamble when it comes to food, sometimes it can have little to no taste for really bad ones, but if you go to where the locals recommend, be prepared to have your taste buds flowing with flavor.

And I forgot to mention, there are really overrated tourist spots here, such as KLCC in KL(it's not worth your time to join the long line of people just to cross the bridge on two identical towers, and if you want to shop, forget it, there's nothing other than designer goods) and Spice Garden in Penang( You pay RM 25 just to see a bit of jungle. That's it, really.)

3) Communication with the locals

Before you get scared, no need to fear, here in Malaysia especially from the city, are able to speak English (since we were a former British colony) but keep in mind, we do have an accent here. For an example, you will hear 'lah' at the end of certain sentences. In rural areas however, it's best to speak in Malay to avoid misunderstandings.

(It's still not done yet, sorry ><)

Raven_Lady951

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Malaysia, what to do and what not to do.

Post by asari on Wed 14 Sep - 15:30

Thank you for the info! Smile
You know, my friend is from Malaysia, it's nice to know what it's like Smile
asari

View user profile

Back to top Go down